Skip to main content


Q:    I am currently transitioning, and would like to apply to UMD. Where do I start?

A: Student veterans have the same admissions process as all other students. If you have questions about the process, contact Taylor Duvall ( in the Admissions Office. She has experience in assisting veteran and military-connected applicants. More information can be found on the Prospective Students page. Transfer students should consult the FAQ here


Q:    Once I am accepted into Maryland who is the best point of contact for a smooth transition into UMD?

A: The best point of contact currently would be to contact us at The Student Veteran Orientation will also be a great place to receive valuable information and resources. Additionally, every newly-admitted student veteran is assigned a mentor, who is a current UMD student veteran. They will contact you by email in the first weeks of class, and are a great resource as you make your transition to Maryland.


Q:    I am currently using the GI Bill, should I still complete my FAFSA and apply for scholarships?

A:   Yes. Every incoming veteran should complete their FAFSA and apply for scholarships as the GI bill does not exclude you from being considered.


Q:    Is The University Of Maryland a Yellow Ribbon School?

A:  The University of Maryland is now officially a Yellow Ribbon School. For more information about the yellow ribbon program and what it entails, click on the following link:  Yellow Ribbon Program


Q:    How do I get access to the Veterans Lounge on Campus?

A: In order to receive access to the Vets Center, please go to Fill out and submit the Veterans Center Access Request form along with your supporting documentation. The Vets Center is located in LeFrak Hall, Room #2123. (Please note that this process can take up to a week until card swipe access is granted.)


Q: So is Veteran Student Life a one-stop shop for all student veteran needs?

A: Unfortunately, no. VSL puts on programming to support student veterans in their transition. Programs include the Veterans Adventure Program, our Veterans Networking Socials, Veterans Week events, and other social and professional development activities outside of class. We also act as advisers and intermediaries for students experiencing difficulties in accessing resources or navigating the college bureaucracy. But the University of Maryland is a large campus with many offices and departments, each responsible for certain activities in their own lanes. We can’t personally register you for classes, locate your DD-214, or get you out of parking tickets--that’s up to you. We can help you find the correct office or point of contact for you to accomplish these things and talk you through the process if necessary, but we are not the Registrar, the VA, or the Department of Transportation. You’ll need to contact the appropriate office to resolve many issues.


Q:    Where can I find more information about different events in which I can participate as a student veteran?

A:  The veterans at UMD have access to a number of activities ranging from social events, community service and organized fitness/adventure events.  Like the Veteran Student Life page on Facebook and join the Veteran Student Life group on TerpLink, in order to get the most up-to-date information. Additionally, you can join the TerpVets Student Organization Facebook Group.


Q:   Where can I find more information about resources available to student parents?

A:  The best place to start would be UMD’s family care resources page here


Q: What should I do about health insurance and health care?

A: UMD requires students to have insurance; if you are enrolled in the Veterans Affairs medical system, you are considered covered by the University. You can find a guide on how to enroll in the VA healthcare system here. To find the VA medical facility closest to you, use their website here.

You can also enroll in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan. This will allow you to access the University Health Center, conveniently located on campus, for most issues. And because health insurance is required for all students, your GI Bill benefits will pay for the University’s health insurance plan: you will not have to pay out of pocket for coverage, though there may be a co-pay for Health Center services. For more information about the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan, go here. (Please note you will need a University ID Number to enroll, so you will not be able to enroll until you are accepted and have received your UID.)


Q: How do students stay active? Can non-traditional students participate in sports?

A: In addition to the Eppley Recreation Center, a large gym with a competition pool and climbing wall, the University has many intramural sports teams. You can find teams for basketball, soccer, flag football, volleyball, and more. There’s also the Veterans Adventure Program, which sponsors free outdoor activities like mountain biking, kayaking, and camping for veterans and military-connected students. 


Q: How can I meet people and get engaged on campus?

A: The University’s many student groups have pages on TerpLink, our online organizational platform. On TerpLink you can find groups dedicated to everything from archery and interfaith relations to beekeeping and improv comedy. Whatever you’re into, you can find your people here. 


Q: How can I get involved in the local community?

A: The Leadership and Community Service Learning Office helps connect students with volunteer and leadership opportunities so you can benefit the community and yourself. The Mission Continues, a veterans’ community service organization, also has several local service platoons that support the area. 

Back to Top