Welcome Banner

New Student Information



Below you will find some questions that have been brought up by immigrant and undocumented prospective and current students at UMD. The people, offices and suggested contacts are starting points for conversations, support and resources available at UMD. We recommend that when you email suggested contacts that you cc undoc@umd.edu in your email so that the Coordinator of Immigrant and Undocumeted Student Life can follow up and provide additional resources available at UMD regardless of immigration status. 



  1. I am being charged out of state tuition but I have lived in MD for most of my life. Can you point me to the person that I can talk to about this?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | bleak@umd.edu (301-314-9014)
  2. I am currently looking to transfer to UMD, can you help me understand this process?
    • Transfer and Off-Campus Student Life | tocsl@umd.edu (301-314-0159)
    • Office of Admissions | Adrian Rodriguez | Arodri32@umd.edu (301-314-8385)
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  3. I want information on the Maryland Dream Act, can you tell me where to locate it?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | bleak@umd.edu (301-314-9014)
    • Office of Admissions | Adrian Rodriguez | Arodri32@umd.edu (301-314-8385)
    • Website: undocumented.umd.edu 
  4. I am having a hard time looking for internships because I am not sure if I can get the background check they require. Do you know?
  5. I am thinking about graduate school, can I take the GRE?
    • Testing Office | Alice Mitchell | amitch@umd.edu
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
  6. I have to take a semester off. Will I still have in-state tuition when I come back?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | bleak@umd.edu (301-314-9014)
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
  7. I was told that I had to go to the international student orientation but I am not an international student, is this true?
    • International Student & Scholar Services | Jody Heckman-Bose | heckmanj@umd.edu  (301-314-7742)
    • If you are a DACA recipient, undocumented, or Maryland Dream Act student we encourage you may also be eligible to register for additional orientation dates then listed on your registration page. Feel free to call our office at 301-314-8217
    • Website: http://orientation.umd.edu/agstudents.html


  1. I am a DACA recipient /Undocumented/UndocuTerp and I’m looking for some scholarships. Do you know where I can start?
  2. My parents are undocumented but I am a U.S. citizen, am I eligible for FAFSA?
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | mheng@umd.edu (301-314-9859)
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
  3. Am I eligible for the Terp Payment Plan? Can you tell me more about it?
    • Tuition Management Systems (TMS) afford.com 1-800-722-4867
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | mheng@umd.edu (301-314-9859)
  4. I have a hold on my account because I’m waiting to get some money and I am afraid that I won’t be able to register for a class that is only offered next semester, can you help?
    • Bursar’s Office | Angela Ryan | aryanad@umd.edu (301-405-9008)
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | mheng@umd.edu (301-314-9859)
  5. Why is the financial aid office asking me to fill out the FAFSA if I know I am not eligible?
  6. I have a hold on my account and need to register for my last semester at UMD, can you help?
    • Bursar’s Office | Angela Ryan | aryanad@umd.edu  (301-405-9008)
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | mheng@umd.edu (301-314-9859)



  1. I’m looking for information on immigration policy, is there anyone I can talk to or place I can do research?
  2. I heard something on the news about birthright citizenship, can you tell me what it means?
  3. Is it true that undocumented students now have access to financial aid in MD?
  4. If the president cancels DACA does that also mean that the Maryland Dream Act is also ending?



  1. Someone in my family has Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and we are not sure what to do, can you help
  2. I was wondering if I could talk to someone about DACA renewals.
  1.     I am an international student and want to apply for asylum, are there any resources on campus?
  2. I just turned 21 and found out that I am no longer eligible under my parent’s petition/visa. I am now undocumented. What can I do?
  3. I have never talked to a lawyer about my immigration status, should I do this?
  4. They asked me about my immigration status during a job interview, is this allowed?
  5. Do I legally have to disclose my status during a job/internship interview or after when I am offered a job?



  1. I want to get involved on campus/in the community on issues of immigration, how can I get involved?
    • Office of Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy | Yvette Lerma | ylerma@umd.edu (301-314-8600)
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
    • Migrating Shells Student Organizations | linktr.ee/umdundoc
  2. I am looking for the person that works with immigrant students; how can I reach them?
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  3. Do you know where the undocumented student program coordinators office is?
    • Stamp Student Union | Engagement Suite 0110J
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  4. Is there an organization for undocumented students on campus?
  5. My residency reclassification application got denied, can you help me through the appeal process?
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian, Leak bleak@umd.edu (301-314-9014)
  6. Can you write me a letter of recommendation for an: internship, job, residency reclassification appeal process?
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
    • Career Center | Pamela Allen | pallen@umd.edu
  7. I have a court hearing coming up and I don’t have a ride or want to go alone. Can you help?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong | janellew@umd.edu (301-405-0879)
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
  8. A staff’s spouse is in deportation proceedings, what resources can UMD offer?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong | undoc@umd.edu
    • Sanctuary DMV  (202-335-1183) 9am – 9pm (7 days a week)
    • CAIR Coalition (202-331-3329) 9am-5pm (M-F)
    • CASA (1-855-678-CASA, 1-855-678-2272) 24 hours a day
    • United We Dream (1-844-363-1423) 6 am -9pm (M-F)
  9. If there was a raid in my community, what can I do and what can UMD do to protect me and the community?




  1. Sometimes I only have one meal a day because I don’t have any money, do you know of places that donate food?
  1. I have an emergency and need money, is there any way the university can help?
    • Student Crisis Fund | Brooke Lecky Supple | bsupple@umd.edu | 301-314-8430
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong | undoc@umd.edu
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  2. I think I am a danger to myself, is there anyone that I can talk to in the counseling office?
  3. The UMD crisis fund issued me a check but I don’t have any type of government issued ID to cash the check or a bank account to deposit the funds. Can you help?
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu


  1. My professor keeps using the word “illegal” in class even though I have told them that it’s dehumanizing, is there something that I can do?
    • To report an incident of hate-bias you can report online to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at: https://www.diversity.umd.edu
    • You can report an incident of hate-bias to the Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct at https://pdc-svpaap1.umd.edu/ci-rpf313/odi/Odi/somerpt
    • You may contact UMPD by calling: Emergency 911 or 301.405.3333; Mobile Phone #3333 | Non-Emergency 301.405.3555
    • You can share this concern with the Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  2. My professor asked me if they should call ICE when I told them I was undocumented. I am scared.
  3. Is it true that students have chalked “Deport Dreamers” and “Build a Wall” on campus before?
  4. Someone in my family/Someone I know, does not have legal status, how can I help them?
  5. I saw that UMD has a contract with ICE, I’m worried. Can you tell me more?
  6. Can I apply for a credit card with my social security number that I acquired through DACA?
  7. Why is UMD asking me for so much paperwork as an employee with DACA?
  8. Am I filling out the appropriate tax forms as an employee on campus?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong | undoc@umd.edu
    • Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu 
  9. Can I open up a bank account with my DACA?
    1. Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu
  10. Can I pay my taxes as an undocumented immigrant without a SSN?
    1. Yes, by using an Individual Tax Identification Number https://americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/facts-about-individual-tax-identification-number-itin
    2. Undocumented Student Program | undoc@umd.edu                                                                                  
  11. Can you help me understand how to obtain a MD limited purpose ID card/Driver’s license?
    • File for an Individual Tax Identification Number
    • File taxes for two years and live in the state of MD
    • Undocumented Student Program, undoc@umd.edu


1. Who are undocumented students?

Undocumented refers to people who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States, who do not hold a visa to reside in the U.S. and who have not applied for or are eligible for current program available to attain legal residency in the U.S. There is no federal law that prohibits undocumented students from attending a higher education institution. Undocumented people are able to attend K-12, community colleges and four year public institutions.

2. What does UndocuTerp mean?

UndocuTerp refers to students who are undocumented and are also part of the University of Maryland, College Park community. The term UndocuTerp is commonly used by students who connect with the UMD community (Terp) and their undocumented identity. This term is sometimes used as a way to navigate away from the negative connotations given to terms such as undocumented, immigrant, non-U.S. citizen and so forth. 

3. What is the Maryland Dream Act?

The Maryland Dream Act became law on December 6, 2012, and applies to all future semesters, starting with the 2013 winter session and beyond. MD Dream Act is a tuition equity law and allows Maryland high school graduates who are undocumented immigrants the opportunity to qualify for the lowest tuition rates at their public colleges and universities upon meeting certain eligibility requirements and submitting required documentation. The Act applies in all 24 jurisdictions within the state of Maryland – every county in the state of Maryland, plus the city of Baltimore.

4. What does the Maryland Dream Act do?

This law enables certain undocumented high school graduates to obtain a post-secondary education at an affordable price. First, if students meet the requirements of the law, they can qualify for the in-county rate at the Maryland community college in jurisdiction from which they graduated from high school. Second, students who earn their first 60 credits or an associate’s degree from a community college and continue to meet the requirements of the Dream Act are eligible for the in-state rate at a four-year public university in Maryland.

5. Who is eligible to apply for the Maryland Dream Act?

To be eligible for the Maryland DREAM Act, students who are undocumented immigrants must have:

– Attended a Maryland high school for at least three years, starting no earlier than the 2005-2006 school year

– Graduated from a Maryland high school or received a GED no earlier than the 2007-2008 school year

– Registered at a Maryland community college within four years of high school graduation or receiving a Maryland GED

For more information please visit the Registrar’s Office – https://www.registrar.umd.edu/Residency/resreclassmddreamact.html

6. If a student is eligible for the Maryland Dream Act, how do they apply for it?

Students who are eligible to apply for the Maryland Dream Act must submit the following forms to the Enrollment Services Office by the deadline:

– A signed affidavit vowing to file an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after becoming eligible to apply.

– If male, proof that student registered with the U.S. Selective Service. Instructions about how to register can be found on the U.S. Selective Service System website. Students can register for Selective Service at any U.S. Post Office. A receipt from the post office that indicates that application was submitted will be accepted as proof.

– Copies of Maryland state income tax returns filed by the student or the student’s parent(s) or legal guardian. This income state tax return will state Form 502 or Form 503 at the top in bold print. The tax returns must be signed and must be from:

– Each of the three years the student attended high school,

– Each year that the student attended community college, and

– Each year between high school and community college.

– An official copy of the student’s high school transcript that shows his or her graduation from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland. If a student got a Maryland GED, they must submit a copy of their Maryland high school transcript and a copy of their GED.

For more information please visit the Registrar’s Office – https://www.registrar.umd.edu/Residency/resreclassmddreamact.html

7. What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

On June 5, 2012, President Barack Obama issued an Executive Order that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) would not deport certain undocumented youth who came to the United States as children. Certain undocumented people who came to the United States as children and meet several key guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then be eligible for work authorization. This action is separate from the Maryland DREAM Act.

DACA advisory post Obama administration

8. Who is eligible for DACA?

– Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

– Came to the United States before reaching turning 16;

– Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

– Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;

– Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;

– Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and

– Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

DACA advisory post Obama administration

9. If I am granted DACA, how long can I have it?

Up until the Supreme Court of the United States makes a decision on whether the program will remain. Currently people still have access to renew and should ASAP. For more information and to stay updated on that please follow https://www.informedimmigrant.com/guides/daca-renewals-2020/ 

– If you need help with renewing your application or help paying for your application check out the information below.


10. As an undocumented student or DACA student, am I eligible for federal student aid?

Undocumented students, including DACA recipients are not eligible for federal financial aid. However, they may be eligible for state or college financial aid, or private scholarships. To learn more about access to the Maryland State Financial Aid Application go to their website here and take a look at the user guide here. If you have specific questions for attending the University of Maryland contact our Financial Aid liasion working with undocumented and immigrant students 

 Financial Aid | website

– Malina Heng | 0102 Lee Building | mheng@umd.edu | 301-314-9859

For more information on scholarships/resources take a look at our folder with financial resources here.

11. Are there allies or organizations that support undocumented students in MD?

 Casa de Maryland is a community organization that strives to improve the quality of life and fight for equal treatment of low-income immigrant communities. http://wearecasa.org/

 United We Dream (UWD) is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the nation. UWD’s powerful nonpartisan network is made up of over 100,000 immigrant youth and allies and 55 affiliate organizations in 26 states. UWD organizes and advocates for the dignity and fair treatment of immigrant youth and families, regardless of immigration status.  http://unitedwedream.org/

– UndocuBlack Network | https://undocublack.org/

– NAKASEC | https://nakasec.org/

– National TPS Alliance | https://www.nationaltpsalliance.org/

– Cosecha MD | https://www.facebook.com/CosechaMD/

12. Am I eligible for admission to Maryland? If so, how do I apply?

Yes, all students regardless of their immigration status with interest in attending the University of Maryland are encouraged to apply for admission. If you are a first time student, you should seek to complete the freshman application for admission. If you are transferring from another institution, and will have completed 12 credits or more, you should seek to complete the transfer application for admission. Please visit: http://registrar.umd.edu/resreclass.html for more information on transferring and or talk to our undocumented student working group liaison member in the office of undergraduate admissions: Adrian Rodriguez | arodri32@umd.edu  | 301.314.8385

Back to Top