Skip to main content
Welcome Banner

Information for Students

General Information for New Immigrant and Undocumented Students 

  • Many undocumented/immigrant new students are incorrectly placed on the international student list because of their citizenship status. As an immigrant and undocumented students, you are classified as domestic students, do not attend orientation from the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
  • If you are wrongly classified as an international student and have beenreceiving emails or requests to attend international student orientation.
  1. Please view the emails from ISSS where they ask if you will be filling out an I-20.
  2. If you fill out the form and click ‘No’ I will not be filling out an I-20 you will be taken off the international student office emails.

If the emails persist or if you need assistance in being removed from the ISSS
mailing list, please contact us and we will help!

This is the process that you will follow to ask for consideration of in-state residency, making you eligible for in-state tuition rates. If you are a student on DACA, TPS, or an undocumented student each process of asking for in-state residency is different.

  • Please email for information about how to apply for residency reclass.

Health insurance is required by federal law. If you see a charge for health insurance in your billing the only way to opt-out of it is to show proof that you have health insurance.

Some undocumented students who have parents who pay for their health insurance can apply for a waiver of the insurance from UMD.

  • This can be done after you have registered for classes. Take a look at the health insurance page for their deadlines and vaccine requirement information before the start of the semester.

Please do not sign up for any free or low-cost state or federal health insurance that requires a social security number.

The Undergraduate Student Legal Aid Office provides free assistance to
currently enrolled University of Maryland undergraduate students. The office
handles all types of legal inquiries and assists students in a wide variety of legal

  • If you are planning to live off-campus, we recommend that you set a meeting with the office to go over the terms of the lease. Fully comprehending your lease is very important, especially if this is your first time renting.
  • Legal Aid provides immigration appointments each month with attorneys for immigration matters. Spots fill up quickly, we recommend students schedule their appointment roughly a month in advance. Legal aid can assist you with a variety of immigration questions, DACA/TPS applications, and consultations.

We encourage you to read over the Student Privacy Policy. There are instances
where your information can be disclosed for valid educational reasons and other
instances where your information can be shared from the directory information.

Personal Identifiable Information classified as “Directory Information” can be
given without your consent unless you submit a waiver each year. Directory
information includes, but is not limited to; name, address, telephone/email, date
and place of birth, major field of study, full-time/part-time status, participation in
officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of
athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, and awards received, the most
recent previous educational agency or institution attended.

To limit the disclosure of your directory information please fill out this form and
submit it to Please note that this document must be
filled out each year to renew your opt-out status in the directory information.

Financial Resources

We understand that a 4 - year college degree is a costly journey. Please keep in mind these things to consider about Financial Aid. As always we encourage you to reach out to UMD's Office of Student Financial Aid at for any questions about your financial aid account. If you need assistance contacting someone from that department please contact us at so that we may try and connect you.

In order to begin to start figuring out the cost of attendance, we encourage you to view the cost of tuition and fees for your academic year. It is important to note that most, if not all, higher education institutions raise the price of tuition each year by a certain percentage. Each year we encourage you to view that year's cost of attendance to stay accurately informed. Please also note that certain programs may have differential tuition -- which means that you cost of tuition and fees will be slightly higher than the average cost of fees. Please check with your program or program advisor in order to ask if your program is a part of the differential tuition.

It is crucial for undocumented students to know that the majority of undocumented students are considered out -of-state when accepted into UMD, even if a student has in-county costs for their community college. This is important to note since out of state will mean that you will be charged out of state tuition rates unless you are able to qualify to adjust your status to in-state. In order to petition to be considered for instate please view the Residency Reclassification tab. 

Maryland State Financial Aid Application

Beginning September 2019, students regardless of their immigration status will be able to go to community college for free (if their families meet the income requirements determined by Maryland state). If someone qualifies for the Maryland Dream Act, they also qualify for Maryland state grants and scholarships. However, they must submit the MSFAA by MARCH 1 each year for the following year's consideration. 

For example: If you are filling out the MSFFA for the year 2022-2023, you will be required to submit your MSFAA by March 1st of 2022.

For information on the Maryland State Financial Aid Application go to their website here and take a look at the user guide here

If you have specific questions for attending the University of Maryland contact our Financial Aid liaison working with undocumented and immigrant students

  • Malina Heng | 0102 Lee Building | | 301-314-9859

We totally understand that college is expensive! UMD has recently allowed undocumented students eligible for merit and need-based scholarships. To qualify students must fill out the MSFAA before the start of the school year.

Though campus scholarships do not cover the complete cost of tuition, we recommend you also expand and search for outside scholarships. Much of this work needs to be done the prior year of your enrollment since most scholarship deadlines are based on the following year's enrollment. 

If you would like us to reach out to a specific college/department to see if your college program has scholarships please let us know!

We believe that you can't start the financial conversations too early so please reach out to us to set up a meeting in person, over the phone, or via Zoom to discuss what paying for college may look like for you. While we may not have all the answers our goal is to share the information we have to best support you in this process.

The Department of Student Affairs has a Student Crisis Fund. This fund is for any any student in crisis that needs funding for a non-tuition related expense. We highly encourage you to apply to this fund. If you should have any questions about this fund feel free to reach out to us and we will gladly help get you in contact with anyone from that department that may help you with any questions. 

Back to Top