Skip to main content

Grad Student Resources

Mental Health Resources

Graduate Student General Therapy Group
Tuesdays @ 2-3:30 PM EST (contact Dr. Allison Asarch at

Mondays @ 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM. (contact Dr. Erica Merson (she/her) at

Women's Graduate Student Support Group
Thursdays @ 2-3:30 PM EST (contact Dr. Pepper Phillips at


Trauma Therapy Group for Male-Identified Survivors 
Tuesdays @ 3 PM EST (contact if interested or have questions)


Daily Online Meditation Groups 
Meditation practices at the University Health Center will explore a variety of meditative tools and techniques, all designed to cultivate self-compassion, mindful awareness, and the ease that can arise as you meditate. 

Meditation is a dynamic, diverse, and deeply personal practice, so we invite you to explore the various styles of meditation being offered through the University Health Center to see which styles resonate with you! 

We are currently holding our group meditation program online. To join us on Zoom please use the registration links below. These are free, drop-in classes, and you may attend as frequently as you like.

Coping with COVID-19: Mental Health Resources
This resource list was created by Simone Warrick-Bell, Graduate Academic Counselor
*If you feel you or someone you know would benefit from additional support, they are welcome to contact the Graduate Academic Counselor, Simone Warrick-Bell at

Assistantships, Employment, & Scholarships

Visit to find a full list of available assistantships, as well as other student employment opportunities. 


Graduate Innovation Fellowship Program



See Scholarship Universe for external scholarship opportunities. 


Grad Assistantships, Internships, Student Employment


*This is not a comprehensive list of opportunities, but those that are currently active/available and have been shared with us.

Other Resources

AAPI Campus Resources


Apply for Emergency Student Grant Aid 

The Office of Student Financial Aid is now accepting applications for emergency grant aid to help with exceptional financial needs and unexpected expenses related to COVID-19, domestic and permanent resident students apply here.

The Graduate School has made a limited amount of its own funds available in emergency grants for degree-seeking international students who are currently residing within the United States and have exceptional financial needs and unexpected expenses related to COVID-19.  To apply, click here.


Immigration Attorney Appointments through Grad Legal Aid
GLAO offers a limited number of immigration-related appointments per month during the spring and fall semesters. Due to the unique nature of these cases, immigration issues can be addressed ONLY during these appointments as our staff attorney does not handle immigration-related cases.  

*Please note that this service is for University of Maryland, College Park students ONLY. 


Free Immigration Consultations and Advice for the Community

Experienced immigration attorneys assisted by students from the University of Maryland Carey School of Law will provide free and confidential consultations for immigration and related tax issues. Register for a virtual appointment either on your own device or at the UMD College Park campus at


University Family Care Benefits 
The university has launched a suite of new family care benefits for our employees and graduate assistants. All employees and graduate assistants will also have access to a new webpage that includes information on campus child care resources, social networks for parents and guardians, information on eldercare and more. University Human Resources will host an informational webinar soon for those seeking further details.

Campus Food Pantry
Emergency appointments available:
contact 301-314-8054 or
To be eligible for services you must be a current student, faculty or staff-member at the University of Maryland. Please bring your current UMD ID card with you. Faculty & staff must register in advance at and are limited to two visits per month. Sign up by Thursday at 11:59 pm for Friday visits.


SNAP Support for Students
** Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or "food stamp”) eligibility has been extended for undergraduate and graduate students who are eligible for federal work-study (they do not have to be participating, just eligible) or have an expected family contribution (EFC) of zero during the pandemic. The US Department of Education encourages students to contact their local SNAP offices to find out how to apply, or for other questions about their SNAP eligibility. Contact information for State SNAP agencies and local offices can be found in FNS’ SNAP State Directory.

Check out the press release or this article for more info about the changes and advice about outreach.

Back to Top