1. What is a GradTerp?
A GradTerp is a graduate student at the University of Maryland. You can be part-time or full time, a Masters or a doctoral student.
2. Where can I find more information about resources available to GradTerps?
You should start with the Graduate Handbook, and also follow us on our social media outlets in the Contact Us page. If you have more specific questions, feel free to reach out to any GSL staff member and we’ll try to answer your questions or direct you to someone else who can be most helpful.
3. Can I bring my partner/spouse/significant other/family member to GSL events?
Although many of our programs are intended for GradTerps only, there are several ways we invite along others who are important to you and your experience as a GradTerp. Many events in our Monthly Social Series allow you to purchase a 2nd ticket for someone of your choosing. We host a couple family-friendly events each year, such as the Festival of Fall and the Family Farm Day, where you can bring the entire family – cousins, grandparents, godparents included!
1. Where is your office located?
We are located on the ground floor of the Stamp Student Union, right across from the Hoff Theater.
2. What are the Lounge hours?
The lounge is open for Fall 2023.
Monday through Thursday: 8:30 am - 7 pm
Friday: 8:30 am - 5 pm
Sat-Sun : Closed
3. Can I store my food in the GSL Lounge refrigerator?
Storage in the GSL refrigerator is for short-term, daily use only. GSL staff reserves the right to throw away any items left in the refrigerator on the Friday of every week. Anyone leaving an item in the fridge must clearly label it with your name and date.
4. I would like to promote something my organization or department is doing. Can I bring materials to display at the Lounge or put onto your bulletin board?
Absolutely! Only UMD-sponsored or student-sponsored events and resources may be promoted within the Lounge. Please contact us at email@example.com before you bring materials or other promotional items. We are happy to post a flyer for you.
5. But, I’m an external organization and I think my product/service will really benefit graduate students!
We do not allow external organizations to promote their products or services within the Lounge or through any GSL social media or communications initiatives without the prior consent of our development representatives. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
6. Can I host an event in the Lounge?
The Lounge is intended to be an open and public space; therefore, it is not available for exclusive reservation.
7. What about on the weekends, when you are technically closed?
We currently do not have capacity to open the Lounge on the weekends. If we are able to, we will follow the policy above.
MONTHLY SOCIAL SERIES FAQS
1. Who is eligible to purchase a ticket for a Monthly Social Series event?
You must be a currently registered UMD College Park graduate student to participate in a GSL-sponsored event. You will be required to log in with your directory ID and password and your status as a graduate student will be checked before you will be able to purchase tickets.
2. How do I purchase tickets for a Social Series event?
Tickets for social events may be purchased online through the link provided in the event description on the Current Events page. Those who have registered for and purchased tickets for an event will receive additional information via email. Payments must be made by credit card online. Note: Tickets are first cum first serve.
3. What information do I need to provide in order to purchase a ticket?
When purchasing your ticket online, you will be asked to provide information about yourself and your graduate academic program in addition to ticket payment information. Some events will require an additional liability release form.
4. Can I bring a guest with me?
Unless otherwise specified, you may purchase one additional ticket for a guest. Your guest does not need to be affiliated with the University of Maryland.
5. I can no longer attend an event. Can I get a refund or transfer my ticket to someone else?
If you are unable to attend an event, you are required to alert Graduate Student Life staff so that we may offer the spot to another GradTerp on the waitlist. Unfortunately, tickets are NOT refundable and NOT transferable. Please note, because this is a graduate student event, if your guest is not a graduate student, they cannot attend the event without a graduate student host.
6. Can I change my guest?
Yes, simply let us know in advance. However due to the timing and nature of some events, there may be a deadline for you to make this change. Please email email@example.com to confirm guest changes.
7. What about free events? Can I just show up?
Free events require a reservation. Check the program description on the Current Events for more details.
8. Where do I go to pick up tickets I’ve purchased?
Those who have already purchased tickets online will be notified regarding ticket pick up if there are physical tickets. You must bring an ID with you. Ticket sales are not available in person.
9. I tried to purchase a ticket but I was placed on a waitlist. What do I do next?
Once tickets for an event sell out, the online registration form will become a waitlist sign-up form. If additional tickets become available, those on the waitlist will be contacted in the order in which they signed up. You will not need to make any payment until you agree to purchase tickets that have become available. Please note: there is no guarantee tickets will become available after an event sells out.
10. I have attempted to purchase tickets several times but the events are always sold out. I am wondering if the tickets really exist or are assigned beforehand?
Monthly Social Series tickets and event registration are not preassigned. They are open to all currently registered graduate students. However, because there are often a limited number of tickets available with a very high demand, they do tend to quickly sell out. Below are a few helpful tips to increase your chances of getting tickets and/or registering for events:
- Pay attention to the date and time when tickets are scheduled to go on sale or registration begins for an event. Refresh the website and log in at the exact moment the scheduled sale/registration starts.
- When a registration link is posted make sure to fill out the information form as quickly as possible. Make sure the information you have entered is correct before hitting the Submit button.