MICA staff formally and informally advise many student groups. Along with our colleagues across the Stamp Student Union, we are committed to supporting student success through involvement and leadership opportunities.
Student Organizations (Active as of Fall 2022)
At Pride Alliance, we support LGBTQ+ students on campus by providing community, support, and advocacy for queer and trans Terps. Pride Alliance is made up of several smaller groups with more identity-specific focuses:
- AceSpace is a queer group welcoming to all on the aromantic/asexual spectrum.
- Campus Queers & Allies (CQA) is an LGBTQ+ student group with weekly meetings to discuss topics relevant to the queer community, and occasionally host game nights, movie nights, and more.
- Male-Identifed Queers (MIQ) is a safe space for queer men to hang out and chat with each other. Join us for serious discussion, fun activities, and everything in between.
- Queers with Disabilities - group restarting Fall 2022!
- ReBorn This Way is a student group for all queer-identified Christians, including those struggling with or questioning their religious, gender, romantic, or sexual identities.
- The Femme Alignment is a space open to all queer and trans women, as well as gender non-conforming individuals.
- TransU is a student-run support group for transgender (including nonbinary) and gender-questioning students of UMD.
Gaysians at UMD is an LGBTQ+ Asian student organization which seeks to create a supportive community for LGBTQ+ Asian students and allies. This organization is currently in transition. If you are interested in helping to revive this organization, please contact Pride Alliance.
Out in STEM (oSTEM) aims to empower and foster the growth of LGBTQIA+ students in or interested in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Not only do we offer a safe space to socialize and discuss intersectional issues in STEM, we also have professional development events throughout the semester. We are UMD’s Chapter of the National oSTEM Organization.
We Skate at UMD is a skate club created with the purpose of encouraging more women, non-binary, gender nonconforming, and LGBT Terps to skate! Our goal is to create a safe space in a community that can be very exclusive and intimidating. Skating is for everyone! Whether you have never stepped on a board, or you’re a veteran, we want to skate with you!
Hamsa: Nice Jewish Queers, UMD's Jewish, LGBTQ+ group on campus, is open to all denominations and identities!
QLA: Queer Leadership Accelerator is a club within the Robert H. Smith School of Business established for the purpose of cultivating and equipping queer leaders for professional excellence.
Smith Pride Alliance is an affinity group for LGBTQ+ MBA students in the Smith School of Business.
Greek Alliance is a student-run organization that encourages a culture of inclusion for LGBTQIA+ individuals within Greek Life. Greek Alliance also offers workshops to encourage chapters on how to make their spaces more inclusive for queer individuals.
LGBTQ+ Students and Allies in Public Health: seeks to promote LGBTQ+ health equity, social justice, and anti-racism by engaging in research, advocacy, education, and leadership projects and initiatives at the UMD and beyond. Open to LGBTQ+ undergraduate and graduate students and allies.