Dear new Grad Terp,
Welcome to the University of Maryland from all of us at the Adele H. Stamp Student Union — Center for Campus Life. Whether you are a freshman, transfer or new graduate student, you are an integral part of our University of Maryland community, and we are so glad you are here.
You are also part of an incoming class this fall who are arriving at a pivotal time in our nation’s history — a time marked by unprecedented events that have left our collective society feeling uncertain about the future. As changes all around us take shape, and as you step onto our campus, know that you will absolutely find community here along with chances at every corner to make friends, learn, create, grow. You will be the future changemakers and innovators of our world.
Here at the heart of UMD, STAMP offers programs that can enrich your college experience. Come discover yourself, and explore the opportunities with us:
- Leadership and Community-Service Learning (LCSL) — make a difference in the community, volunteer, teach, gain leadership skills that will take you beyond graduation
- Multicultural Involvement and Community Advocacy (MICA) — get involved in social justice, diversity and inclusion programs, addressing issues for LGBTQIA, Black, Native American, Women, Asian American Pacific Island, Multiracial, and under-represented communities
- Activities and Special Events — attend live events, shows, concerts; meet friends, dance, sing, or join a club (there are more than 800 to choose from)
- Engagement — find resources for students who are veterans, transfers, in graduate school, undocumented, immigrants, or commuters
- TerpZone — grab a friend for bowling, billiards, video games, TV lounges in our state-of-the art facility
- STAMP Gallery, Studio A, Contemporary Art Purchasing Program — discover your inner artist, attend gallery shows, and more
- Memorial Chapel — find your spiritual center; reflect in beautiful garden spaces; and meditate at the Labyrinth
We can’t wait to see you in the STAMP! Come find yourself here.
Dr. Marsha Guenzler-Stevens
Director, Adele H. Stamp Student Union — Center for Campus Life
"Why the "A?" Glad you asked. Positioned right at the center of our logo, the highlighted "A" reaffirms STAMP as the heart of the University of Maryland and as the center of campus life, providing an open, safe space to all who walk through its doors. It is also a nod to Adele H. Stamp, the University's first Dean of Women, for whom the building was renamed in 1983."
New Student Events
August — During the first week after move-in, first year students are invited to participate in UMD’s yearly fall welcome, filled with amazing events! Be prepared to be greeted by UMD’s new president, Dr. Darryl Pines, hear the Mighty Sound of Maryland band, and the best mascot in the Big 10, Testudo! More information about Fall Welcome can be found here.
September — In the first few weeks of the semester, students are encouraged to check out more than 800 clubs and organizations at the First Look Fair. This year, the fair goes virtual! Meet new students just like you! Click here to learn more!
- There are so many opportunities to get involved in campus life. One way is to join one of the 800+ student organizations on campus. Visit the Student Organization Resource Center in STAMP and they will help you navigate student organizations.
- Throughout the semester, Stamp Special Events hosts a variety of events to transform and enrich the Maryland experience through a comprehensive schedule of interactive, exciting and intentional student-centered programming that promotes student engagement. You can visit their page to find out more information about these events, like the STAMP All-Niter, Homecoming and more!
- One of the best ways to get involved is to work with us! STAMP hires more than 400 student employees in various areas of employment. Visit our employment page often to see what openings are available.
Stop by STAMP and get to know a little bit about who we are!
- Graduate Student Life (GSL) is an office dedicated to helping grad students feel like they have a community they can turn to while on campus. We are also the friendly reminders to have fun and connect with peers across campus by joining the events and programs we create specifically for you!
- Learn more about our Activities team, which includes Special Events and Programs, Student Entertainment Events (SEE) and the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC).
- Stop by one of our centers to learn, reflect or just hang out. The Memorial Chapel, STAMP Gallery, Studio A and the TerpZone are waiting to welcome you!
- If you are a transfer student, be sure to check out the Transfer and Off-Campus Student Life office. If you are a veteran, make sure you contact the Veteran Student Life office to see all available resources.
- The Office of Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy [MICA] stands firmly in our role to empower students through education on issues of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion and their intersections. Be sure to visit our page to learn more.
- Undocumented students are a vital part of our campus community. As such, the dissemination of up-to-date, accurate information by campus offices is vital. STAMP has resources for you.
- The Leadership & Community Service-Learning office engages students in experiential and community-based learning to foster socially responsible leadership. There are a number of programs available for you to get involved.
Shopping and Dining
If you need a quick bite to eat in between classes or need somewhere to get your text books or gameday gear, the Stamp has you covered. Stop by our food court to try all of our different food options.
Get to know UMD
Welcome to College Park! Check out the resources below that can help answer any questions you may have about campus life.
- If you are interested in finding out more information regarding financial aid please be sure to visit the Office of Student Financial Aid. There you will find all the available resources regarding financial aid at the University of Maryland.
- Thinking about living on campus? Check out the Department of Residence Life for all your on campus housing needs. If you are looking for on campus dining options as well, be sure to check out Dining Services to find a plan that suits you.
- If you are looking to remain active while on campus make sure you check out all the RecWell has to offer. From a state of the art fitness facility to informal recreation and everything in between, RecWell has something for you. Make sure you visit their website to find your next activity!
- Need to get around campus? Everything from parking to bus services can be found on the Department of Transportation Services website. They've created a great resource just for incoming freshman! Below you can check out a visitors campus map.
Also be sure to visit the City of College Park's website for more information about the areas surrounding campus.
You can find a map of the City of College Park here.