Skip to main content


Income Tax Assistance



The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation help to low- to moderate-income people. If your family earned $54,000 or less in 2018, you can receive FREE tax help and get your 2018 federal and state income tax returns done quickly through e-filing. 

University of Maryland Extension hosts one free income tax preparation day in partnership with Community Action Agency Montgomery County, the IRS, Maryland CASH, and Internal Revenue Service.

For more information, contact Diana Yacob at

For International Students

International Students are encouraged to refer to ISSS' tax information section at

Qualify for MD Residency

Residency Reclassification Services



Residency Reclassification Services handles students’ requests to be reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes. Students who were initially classified as out-of-state residents by Graduate Admissions, and subsequently believe they meet the requirements for in-state tuition and fees may apply for in-state residency.

To learn more about how to become a Maryland resident, visit

For more information, please call 301-314-9596 or email

Tuition & Fees

Understanding Fees

Graduate students pay a number of mandatory student fees that are not covered by tuition remission. These fees help support a number of services on campus such as Shuttle UM, Campus Recreation Center, Athletics, Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. To see where that money goes, visit the Bursar's office website which includes information for the current academic year and for previous years.

Decisions to increase go through two major steps. First there is a campus committee that works with each of these service areas. These committees review any proposed fee changes before submitting recommendations to the Committee for the Review of Student Fees. There are graduate student seats at both levels that are filled through the Graduate Student Government.


Back to Top