Skip to main content

New Student Checklist

Below is an abridged new student veteran checklist for your convenience. If you have any questions at all or require assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at or by phone during business hours at (301)-314-0073.

Click Here for a more detailed checklist that you may print out or save to your device.


  • Acceptance of Admissions Offer
    • Go to to accept your admissions offer and follow the instructions in your admissions letter.
    • You may be required to submit a deposit. If you are using the GI bill, this money will be refunded to you when the VA pays tuition and fees.
  • Information for Transfer Credit Evaluation
    • If you need transfer credits evaluated, contact the transfer credit center.You may check the transfer credit database to see credit equivalents for previously taken courses.
    • If your course is not listed contact with the institution name, course title, course ID and semester you took the course, along with a detailed description of the course and course syllabus.


  • Create University Email Account and Directory ID
    • Create your Directory ID.
    • Once you have your Directory ID and password create your TERPmail account. 
    • Make sure to update your preferred email address on Testudo, and be sure to check your TERPmail regularly. 


  • Get Access to Veterans Center and TerpLink
    • We will be opening the Vet Center on 2 August. Please fill out this form on TerpLink to gain access. (Please ensure you are logged into TerpLink when you fill out the form.)
    •  TerpLink is where you can find student groups that match your interests, sign up here with your Directory ID and password.


  • Register for Freshman/Transfer Orientation (Not Student Veteran Specific)
    • Seats fill fast and all new students are required to attend orientation, so register by calling 301-314-8217
      • There is a program fee for orientation, if you are using the GI Bill this fee will be refunded.


  • Register for the Veteran & Military Connected-Student Orientation
    • Join us TBA, for our in-person veteran and military-connected student orientation. TBA


  • Standardized Placement Tests
    • Please review the criteria for the math or foreign language placement tests to see if you will be required to take the test. All students are highly encouraged to take any placement tests before attending Freshman/Transfer Orientation.


  • Upload your Immunization Records
    • Proof of active duty US military service (DD214) can be submitted to waive the requirement that a physician sign off on your vaccination records at, under the “Forms” tab, then by clicking the “Immunization Uploading” link.
    • A military immunizations form (DD Form 2766C) will also be accepted. You can request this from the VA with the VHA 10-5345a form. If you submit a DD-214 you do not need to submit a DD 2766C


  • Freshman/Transfer Orientation Attendance and Logistics
    • By following the checklist to this item you should be prepared to attend new student Orientation. 
    • During orientation you will meet with your Orientation Advisor, discuss course schedule with your Academic advisor, and register for classes. 
  • ID Card
    • You can obtain your student ID card on the first floor of the Mitchell Building.
      • Due to COVID-19 restrictions, call (301)-314-8240 for instructions on how to get your ID card.


  • Residency Classification
    • The residency classification office is the entity that handles residency classification for tuition purposes. 
      • If you were honorably discharged from active duty and have a Maryland address for any length of time, you qualify for in-state residency.
      • If you are on active-duty stationed in Maryland (inc. terminal leave) or a National Guardsman, you may also be eligible for in state residency.


  • Educational Benefits
    • For those interested in initiating VA educational benefits see our website
    • If planning to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch.33), request your certificate of eligibility online ASAP.
    • Once registered for classes, send your COE and filled out UMD Enrollment Certification form to
      • The VA Benefits office at UMD can answer any of your Yellow Ribbon or GI Bill questions



Back to Top