If you are a current veteran or military-connected student and would like to receive one-on-one tutoring through the STEM Veteran Assistance Program, please complete the following form at stamp.umd.edu/STEMTutoring
- If we are unable to accommodate your request or if there is a course you need tutoring for that is not listed above – please check available tutoring resources at UMD at: www.tutoring.umd.edu – there are lots of great tutoring resources available on-campus!
Our STEM Tutors
Below you will find the names of our current tutors and the courses in which they could provide tutoring support. Tutoring sessions are scheduled for one hour.
- MATH 015, MATH 140, MATH 113, MATH 120, MATH 013, MATH 007, MATH 206, MATH 214, MATH 240, STAT 100, ENEE 101, ENEE 205, ENEE 245, ENEE 322, ENEE 324
Zoom Link: https://umd.zoom.us/j/
Monday- 10-12pm, Thursday- 3-6pm, Friday- 10-12pm
- Bio: Hello, my name is Taruni and I'm currently enrolled as a graduate student under the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. I also have a year's experience in teaching dance on the virtual platform. I'm excited to teach you all and make learning concepts fun!
- MATH115, STAT100
Zoom Link: https://umd.zoom.us/j/5504670468
- Intro to Pre-Calculus (MATH115)
- Monday 2-3PM
- Elementary Statistics and Probability (STAT100)
- Wednesday 4-5PM
- MATH115 & STAT100
- Friday 3-4PM
- Bio: Hi, my name is Blen Mulugeta, and I’m a sophomore Information Science major. My major entails learning how to manage information through computing and studying how people best utilize these systems. I want to use this education to become a User Experience (UX) designer. I love to tutor because I enjoy helping people understand things. Likewise, I’m looking forward to working with veterans, so they can best accomplish that and their educational goals, either virtually or in person.
- CMSC131, CMSC132, CMSC133, CMSC216, CMSC250, CMSC351, MATH141, MATH206, MATH406, STAT400, ASTR101
- Office Hours: TBD
- Bio: Hey, I'm Philip and I'm a CS major from London, UK. I'm an officer for Culinary Club and Club Boxing. I got into tutoring as I know what it's like being intimidated by new subjects and wanted to help others cross that gap.
- MATH115, MATH140, MATH141, MATH241, MATH246, MATH310, MATH405, MATH410, STAT100, STAT400, STAT401, STAT430
- Office Hours: TBD
- Bio: Hello, my name is Malika, and I am excited to tutor mathematics! I am majoring in mathematics on the statistics track and will be tutoring in-person as well as online. I look forward to working with you to improve your mathematical skills.
Click HERE for Guidelines on STEM Tutoring Sessions
If you are looking for Non-STEM Tutoring Services:
The VA will also reimburse student veterans a maximum of $100 per month or $1,200 per year for tutoring services. This is available to students with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, DEA, and the Montgomery GI Bill. For steps to apply for the VA's Tutorial Assistance please follow this link: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/tutorial_assistance.asp
Additionally, UMD's English Department offers writing assistance. For more details and to make an appointment with the Writing Center, please follow this link: http//www.english.umd.edu/academics/writingcenter
Guided Study Sessions (GSS) are also available through the Teaching & Learning Transformation Center and provide peer-led collaborative learning groups for a variety of courses. More information on GSS is available at: https://tltc.umd.edu/guided-study-sessions
Become a Tutor
Tutors for the STEM Veteran Assistance Program are currently enrolled students at UMD. We are currently searching for more tutors, as our previous tutors have moved on in their academic careers. If you or someone you know would like to apply to be a tutor in the STEM Veteran Assistance Program, click here!
Hannah Boss - Undergraduate Work-Study, Veterans STEM Assistance Program
- If you would like to request tutoring services in general or get more information about the program, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that you are a student veteran.