Adele H. Stamp Student Union - Center for Campus Life




Below you will find some questions that have been brought up by immigrant and undocumented prospective and current students at UMD. The people, offices and suggested contacts are starting points for conversations, support and resources available at UMD. We recommend that when you email suggested contacts that you cc in your email so that someone from the Undocumented Student Program is able to follow up and provide additional resources available at UMD regardless of immigration status. 



  1. I am being charged out of state tuition but I have lived in MD for most of my life. Can you point me to the person that I can talk to about this?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | (301-314-9014)
  2. I am currently looking to transfer to UMD, can you help me understand this process?
    • Transfer and Off-Campus Student Life | (301-314-0159)
    • Office of Admissions | Adrian Rodriguez | (301-314-8385)
    • Undocumented Student Program |
  3. I want information on the Maryland Dream Act, can you tell me where to locate it?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | (301-314-9014)
    • Office of Admissions | Adrian Rodriguez | (301-314-8385)
    • Website: 
  4. I am having a hard time looking for internships because I am not sure if I can get the background check they require. Do you know?
  5. I am thinking about graduate school, can I take the GRE?
    • Testing Office | Alice Mitchell |
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
  6. I have to take a semester off. Will I still have in-state tuition when I come back?
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian Leak | (301-314-9014)
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
  7. I was told that I had to go to the international student orientation but I am not an international student, is this true?
    • International Student & Scholar Services | Jody Heckman-Bose |  (301-314-7742)
    • If you are a DACA recipient, undocumented, or Maryland Dream Act student we encourage you may also be eligible to register for additional orientation dates then listed on your registration page. Feel free to call our office at 301-314-8217
    • Website:



  1. I am a DACA recipient /Undocumented/UndocuTerp and I’m looking for some scholarships. Do you know where I can start?
  2. My parents are undocumented but I am a U.S. citizen, am I eligible for FAFSA?
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | (301-314-9859)
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
  3. Am I eligible for the Terp Payment Plan? Can you tell me more about it?
    • Tuition Management Systems (TMS) 1-800-722-4867
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | (301-314-9859)
  4. I have a hold on my account because I’m waiting to get some money and I am afraid that I won’t be able to register for a class that is only offered next semester, can you help?
    • Bursar’s Office | Angela Ryan | (301-405-9008)
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | (301-314-9859)
  5. Why is the financial aid office asking me to fill out the FAFSA if I know I am not eligible?
  6. I have a hold on my account and need to register for my last semester at UMD, can you help?
    • Bursar’s Office | Angela Ryan |  (301-405-9008)
    • Financial Aid | Malina Heng | (301-314-9859)



  1. I’m looking for information on immigration policy, is there anyone I can talk to or place I can do research?
  2. I heard something on the news about birthright citizenship, can you tell me what it means?
  3. Is it true that undocumented students now have access to financial aid in MD?
  4. If the president cancels DACA does that also mean that the Maryland Dream Act is also ending?



  1. Someone in my family has Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and we are not sure what to do, can you help
  2. I was wondering if I could talk to someone about DACA renewals.
  1.     I am an international student and want to apply for asylum, are there any resources on campus?
  2. I just turned 21 and found out that I am no longer eligible under my parent’s petition/visa. I am now undocumented. What can I do?
  3. I have never talked to a lawyer about my immigration status, should I do this?
  4. They asked me about my immigration status during a job interview, is this allowed?
  5. Do I legally have to disclose my status during a job/internship interview or after when I am offered a job?



  1. I want to get involved on campus/in the community on issues of immigration, how can I get involved?
    • Office of Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy | Yvette Lerma | (301-314-8600)
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
    • Migrating Shells Student Organizations |
  2. I am looking for the person that works with immigrant students; how can I reach them?
    • Undocumented Student Program |
  3. Do you know where the undocumented student program coordinators office is?
    • Stamp Student Union | Engagement Suite 0110J
    • Undocumented Student Program |
  4. Is there an organization for undocumented students on campus?
  5. My residency reclassification application got denied, can you help me through the appeal process?
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
    • Office of the Registrars | Brian, Leak (301-314-9014)
  6. Can you write me a letter of recommendation for an: internship, job, residency reclassification appeal process?
    • Undocumented Student Program |
    • Career Center | Pamela Allen |
  7. I have a court hearing coming up and I don’t have a ride or want to go alone. Can you help?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong | (301-405-0879)
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
  8. A staff’s spouse is in deportation proceedings, what resources can UMD offer?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong |
    • Sanctuary DMV  (202-335-1183) 9am – 9pm (7 days a week)
    • CAIR Coalition (202-331-3329) 9am-5pm (M-F)
    • CASA (1-855-678-CASA, 1-855-678-2272) 24 hours a day
    • United We Dream (1-844-363-1423) 6 am -9pm (M-F)
  9. If there was a raid in my community, what can I do and what can UMD do to protect me and the community?



  1. Sometimes I only have one meal a day because I don’t have any money, do you know of places that donate food?
  1. I have an emergency and need money, is there any way the university can help?
    • Student Crisis Fund | Brooke Lecky Supple | | 301-314-8430
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong |
    • Undocumented Student Program |
  2. I think I am a danger to myself, is there anyone that I can talk to in the counseling office?
  3. The UMD crisis fund issued me a check but I don’t have any type of government issued ID to cash the check or a bank account to deposit the funds. Can you help?
    • Undocumented Student Program |



  1. My professor keeps using the word “illegal” in class even though I have told them that it’s dehumanizing, is there something that I can do?
    • To report an incident of hate-bias you can report online to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion at:
    • You can report an incident of hate-bias to the Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct at
    • You may contact UMPD by calling: Emergency 911 or 301.405.3333; Mobile Phone #3333 | Non-Emergency 301.405.3555
    • You can share this concern with the Undocumented Student Program |
  2. My professor asked me if they should call ICE when I told them I was undocumented. I am scared.
  3. Is it true that students have chalked “Deport Dreamers” and “Build a Wall” on campus before?
  4. Someone in my family/Someone I know, does not have legal status, how can I help them?
  5. I saw that UMD has a contract with ICE, I’m worried. Can you tell me more?
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
    • Take a look at this statement on our website under the about tab |
  6. Can I apply for a credit card with my social security number that I acquired through DACA?
  7. Why is UMD asking me for so much paperwork as an employee with DACA?
  8. Am I filling out the appropriate tax forms as an employee on campus?
    • Undocumented Student Working Group Co-Chair and Rapid Response Manager | Janelle Wong |
    • Undocumented Student Program | 
  9. Can I open up a bank account with my DACA?
    1. Undocumented Student Program |
  10. Can I pay my taxes as an undocumented immigrant without a SSN?
    1. Yes, by using an Individual Tax Identification Number
    2. Undocumented Student Program |                                                                                  
  11. Can you help me understand how to obtain a MD limited purpose ID card/Driver’s license?
    • File for an Individual Tax Identification Number
    • File taxes for two years and live in the state of MD
    • Undocumented Student Program,